Sunday 6 March 2011

Logitech G930 vs G35: A second look

It's been a few months since I went out and bought these two.  Initially thought the only real difference between the two was that one was wireless and the other wasn't. While this is still the only essential difference, there are several nuances between the two that stand out.




I've been using the G930 at home as my primary audio connection for gaming, music, movies you name it. As I noted in my G930 review, the benchmark by which all headphones must pass for minimum acceptance was the very impressive (and sadly, discontinued Razer Barracuda HP-1). The G930 doesn't disappoint on sound quality nor intensity. It also scores really well for connection speed (provided the appropriate device has been initialized at least once on that given USB port) - drivers load faster than some mice and the wireless pairing is near instantaneous. Of course, the downside to this is that the wireless connectivity is hard-paired -- meaning if you lose your USB transmitter, be prepared to buy a new set. The other aggravating downside is that, when you plug  in the headphones (to recharge them), they are still wirelessly connected. Instead sending power and audio signal over USB, it just charged over USB.

The G35 I use as a secondary headphone set at home (mostly for connecting the laptop upstairs when I'm too lazy to bring the G930 up and down the stairs or when it's charging). The audio quality is probably identical (no reason they wouldn't be, I'm almost positive they use the same underlying architecture) but the user experience is different.

My initial gut reaction (from the first few seconds I wore the G35), was that it simply wasn't as comfortable. I don't look forward to putting it on. As I briefly touched in my initial review, the flexible headband thing is just retarded. The end result is that the headphones either don't stay on your head or they certainly give that impression. I'm constantly subtly adjusting my head-bobbing and even find myself adjusting how far I lean back in my chair. In short, it's a damn distracting experience, I find myself putting them on and taking them off very shortly after. For awhile, I took to removing the leather padded cushion and just having the straight velcro against my scalp - took a bit getting used to but at least the headphones weren't sliding around all over! For the G35's role as my in-bed headphones, it performs wonderfully and it's an enjoyable experience (mostly because the I don't have to worry about the damn unit sliding off my head).

I've ranted a bit about the flexible band on the G35 vs the solid band on the G930. I can't rant enough about it (although I will, for the sake of being academically thorough, accept the possibility that my head is just that weirdly shaped). A few more nuances:

  • Using TeamSpeak on either of these headphones only plays incoming audio on the right headphone. You can hack this to play on both sides by toggling the DolbySurround switch but [a] that's a dumb idea and [b] it sounds terrible. Skype also used to have this problem, but I'm pretty certain one of the recent driver updates fixed it up (for reference sake, I use v1.00.358 for the G930 and v1.01.178 for the G35).
  • The drivers on the G35 are less functional than those on the G930. It's a minor thing that the overwhelming majority of users will never encounter but it just makes me sit back and think - why couldn't they just use the same damn drivers? In addition to a slightly different look and feel, the G35 lacks the ability to adjust the individual channel volumes.
  • The G-keys on the headphones? They aren't G-keys in the standard Logitech sense. You can only really use them for custom media related actions. If you were expecting to be able to bind a push-to-talk option for, say, TeamSpeak, you're out of luck. It does, however, support Ventrillo right out of the box. To shed some light on why this was even an issue: consider I was hoping to VoIP using the G930 -- while in a different room. An extension of this: the headphones lack a mute button -- and you can't even bind one of the fancy G-keys to mute the audio.
  • Both headphones have a fake-surround-sound switch that, when you trigger it, adjusts the tray icon for the G930/G35 from black (real audio) to red (fake surround sound). With the G35, when you come out of hibernate with the headphones plugged in (I leave the G35 permanently plugged into the docking station at work), there is a third color - "orange-red". This is regardless of whether the headphones are running real or fake mode. To fix this, just toggle back and forth to what you need. Is this a breaking issue? Not really, but it does highlight the issue of the failing point of most Logitech products being their drivers. The G930 doesn't have this problem (perhaps due to the inherent considerations for designing drivers for a wireless product) 
  • The G930, being a wireless product, has a battery life. The actual battery life is somewhere in the ballpark of more-than-six hours, likely eight or more. But there is a caveat. If you're not using the headphones (i.e., transmitting audio), a battery saver algorithm will kick in and switch your headphones off. There's a workaround tool for this. And while we're on the topic of batteries, you can buy replacement batteries! (Thank god). Just hit up the Replacement Parts section (selection will vary by region though)
  • Thinking about the power saver thing makes me think of an annoyance with the G930 -- the power/pair button is like the buttons on Bluetooth headsets - you get one button that does half-a-dozen things depending on how long you press it and how you press it and what day of the week it is. While the button on the G930 simply handles on-off (with the pairing being automatic when you turn the unit on), the button is kind of retarded. You long-press to turn it off - this makes sense. But sometimes you have to long-press to turn on and sometimes you only have to short-press to turn on. 
  • Although I mentioned it above, this is annoying enough to bring up again: the G930 is a wireless-only product. Unlike some wireless mice that, when charging via USB cable, act as a wired-USB mouse, when you plug your G930 in for charging it's still connected via wireless (so, you really don't have a fall-back in the event that you use that dongle).

Ultimately the recommendation comes down to a compromise
  • G930. The unit is more comfortable and offers wireless but at the cost of having to deal with the stupidity that comes with wireless technology (power saving and awkward power button). See addendum.
  • G35. None of the complexities of wireless, but doesn't necessarily stay on your head.
Don't forget the G930 costs about $50 more. My pick, if I were to buy another? G930 hands down.


Addendum
While searching for the info on the replacement battery, I noticed that you can get a Receiver for the Wireless G930. This sounds like a replacement USB dongle, however, since there is no "initiate pairing" button (or maybe we just have to press a special combination of long-press and short-presses on the single button to initiate pairing).

Addendum
Apparently, my suspicion re: being able to somewhat readily pair a replacement dongle with your existing headset isn't as convoluted as I'd have thought, (from the comments below):
The headset does not hard pair with the dongle, replacement dongles can be orderd easily. and Pairing your new usb dongle to your headset is simple. all so you have to do, is get a pin or somthign small enough to press the little hole on the dongle itself, and at the same time, Press and hold down the power button ont he headset for 10 seconds until reapeated flashing occures. Pairing a new USB dongle to the headset is fairly easy,,, so if you happen to break or lose your dongle dont fret you will not have to buy a new headset lol.

23 comments:

  1. Good points apart from the mute button - don't both headsets have a mute button next to the volume roller? And doesn't moving the mic boom out of the way mute audio? But you're spot on about the G-keys, they're a poor excuse compared to G-keys on other Logitech products which are macro-assignable. Calling them G-keys is really tantamount to fraud. Great headsets, great support, terrible software update cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they both have a mute-microphone button next to the volume roller -- but not a mute-audio button (sure you can always roll the volume down yourself... it just seems kind of something you would expect to come standard).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, rolling the volume all the way down will not mute the audio - it still plays at a not-even-quiet level for me and I have the G35.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah and even then it takes forever (IMO) to roll that volume roller down due to the infinite-scrollability of the roller. I *guess* one could argue, by having a longer scrolling distance until off, it gives more resolution to the scroller, to me it just seems unpolished as a whole haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. heres an idea. if you want it to mute audio TAKE THE HEADPHONES OFF lol derrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. [1] Periods are for complete thoughts. I know, what am I thinking, how could you be capable of complete thoughts right? (see I gave you an awesome chance - a chance to express your own shortsightedness)

    [2] Last I checked the heaphones don't automute when you take them off your head as I can clearly hear it playing while sitting on the desk or handing around my neck.

    [3] Taking the headphones off removes one of the benefits -- of isolating yourself both acoustically and from an approachability aspect.

    Good job thinking that one through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hav thrown dropped and had my g35's fall into soup, but they still work

    ReplyDelete
  8. The G35s for sure much more life-proof: the swivel joint on the G930 is a tricky (my left swivel already broke and it kind of dangles).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would Like to correct some false information of this review.... The headset does not hard pair with the dongle, replacement dongles can be orderd easily. and Pairing your new usb dongle to your headset is simple. all so you have to do, is get a pin or somthign small enough to press the little hole on the dongle itself, and at the same time, Press and hold down the power button ont he headset for 10 seconds until reapeated flashing occures. Pairing a new USB dongle to the headset is fairly easy,,, so if you happen to break or lose your dongle dont fret you will not have to buy a new headset lol. I have 2 extra dongles that logitech was nice enough to send me free of charge. Very good company. customer support is amazing the best I have recieved from any company. They even pay for the shipping. 2 day shipping from the USA to canada. The support alone deserves the price you pay for these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh neat, totally didn't know that. *updated* post above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got the G930's and tehy are amazing. Battery life upwards of 8-10 hours, turn off and on effortlessly, they work while plugged in, there is no lag, no popping, no drop outs. Every bad thing I heard about these head phones have been proven false since i bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can 2 g930's be used in the same house, on separate computers, and not interfere with each other?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes they can, each G930 has it's own associated receiver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to buy one of these 2 headsets. IS G930 good enough to cost Twice As Mutch as G35?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure if there's a big-box electronics store near where you are that you can physically try them on -- I found the G35 to be very slip prone -- nod your head to the music and they will slide (ended up just taking the leather insert out and having the velcro on my hair lol).

    The G930s can slip but takes a lot more for them to slip (a LOT more). Both are comfortable for long (8hr+ continuous) gaming sessions although I'd say after the first 5-6hrs the tug of the cord on the G35 may bother you a bit).

    If you can afford the G930, it's the better set (in terms of functionality -- you can have individual channel volume on the G930 but you cant on the G35).

    If the corded nature of the G35 doesnt bother you, the Razer Tiamet may be a better deal all around: real physical multichannel audio.
    http://www.razerzone.com/tiamat/en

    I dont know how the Razer one will turn out in reality but if my past experience (see my other headphone review) is any indication, it should be worth the wait. I'll probably end up getting a Razer unit for my main "sit down for extended sessions" :)

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't want 2.4ghz (micro) waves shooting into my earholes for 8+hours anyway jeez you people are going to get brain aids

    ReplyDelete
  17. You live in a world of 2.4GHZ waves mate. Bluetooth, wireless b/g/n and your cordless phone are examples. Microwave is used for wireless over long distances as well. Doesn't mean that if you put a pie in between the parabolic dishes that its going to heat up though.
    Living in a swamp with a tin foil hat is a method that works for some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Iv had both got my g930 after one of the earphones broke off (from a 1m drop onto carpet) g930 seemed like it could handle more knocks but after 1year I now cant charge it. Dont know if this is common but damn frustrating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has happened to both my G930s and my G35s. For as "industrial" as they look, they don't act the part. One definitely needs to treat those babies carefully.

      Delete
  19. I am a bit sceptical about wireless tech when it comes to PC gaming. I have gone through 2 wired headsets already (Turtle Beach Px21 [yes I know Px21 is for ps3 console, but it works] and Z2)..

    I have been researching about G35 and G930.

    A majority of my headsets is wired, I am sick and tired of these rubbery materials that wear and tear easily causing the sound in one side to just drop off due to the cord moving.

    G35 has that woven cord like most gaming peripherals have.

    While I can afford any of the two, I am willing to give the G930 a chance as this COULD be my first wireless headset, be proven wrong and also gets rid of any scepticism about the wireless tech.

    It all boils down to which one should I buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought both the G930 and the G35:
      - The G35 I find doesn't fit my head as snugly - I think this is due to the bendy top frame (to accommodate their "feature" of swap-able cushions)
      - The G35 - even though it is effectively the same hardware as the G930 doesn't allow for discrete channel volume that the G930's drivers allow
      - Given that the G930 is capable of 8hrs+ gaming and can be run on microUSB, the limitation of the cordless is mostly gone.
      - Between the two, the G930 is distinctly better (IMO)


      Of course, they both suffer from a serious case of being easy to break. It's the swivel joints - rather, it's the plastic covering (the one with 4 screws) - this breaks and it's all downhill after that. Luckily I bought two refurbished ones at 50% off so I'm waiting for the day that one of them breaks haha.

      As much as I love the wireless capabilities (letting me continue a skype conversation as I get up and get stuff done), my next headset will likely be the new Razer one. Either way, I'll post back my opinions on it :)

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also bought both the G35 and the G930. The G35 cable tends to get twisted in knots over time through no fault of user. I honestly can't think of why Logitech would use such an inferior material. Other that that, they are both excellent value for money. Both are really comfortable to wear, insulate background sounds really well and provide awesome sound. I love the bass, for example, the explosions sound really cool! If I had to choose one, I will go for the G930 hands down. The freedom to get up from your pc without having to take your headset off is worth the every extra dollar spent.

    ReplyDelete