Wednesday 14 September 2011

Android Diaries, Part 6: Keeping everything safe



I guess I got a bit ahead of myself with the rooting and custom ROMs. I mentioned briefly about how it’s strongly recommended to back everything up, but I guess I didn’t quite talk about how to exactly go about doing this! Never too late, read on.
For any serious backups, you’ll need root access and a custom recovery environment. Have a look here to see how to get started (yeah, I know, I warn you to backup stuff before you have the root access in order to actually back it up). Once you’ve got root, there are a few core tools:
  • Titanium backup. This application is crucial, it lets you save all the applications and their data (both user and system applications. If you use this application a lot, you should consider getting the Pro version to support them (and it’s faster and adds some more features too)
  • ROM Manager. While you don’t need this application to perform kernel level backups (you can do that directly from the custom recovery environment), it’s a bit easier to do it from here (and you can assign your own backup names!). Again, if you use this a lot, consider getting the Premium version.
  • SMS Backup & Restore. I’m pretty certain a brute-force backup using Titanium Backup will encompass your text messages (but I’ve not checked), having a separate backup for just your text messages can be handy. A Pro version removes the relatively unobtrusive ads in the application.
  • Call Logs Backup & Restore. If you need to keep track of your calls (say, for business reasons), you can backup the call history using this.
Make sure to keep some/all of the backups off of the phone! Something like DropBox (app) can help with that. Be aware that some applications may have their own built-in backup and restore options.
There’s a setting within Android as well which lets you backup many/all of the applications and their data to the Google cloud. I've never really, truly relied on this although it did restore many/all of the applications I had installed on my tablet when I wiped it. The setting is located in Settings > Privacy Settings:


No comments:

Post a Comment